Sunday 21 April 2013

Sota Summit G/SP-010 Winter Hill - Sunday 21st April 2013 - A tail of two Summits ! Part 1

Sota Summit G/SP-010 Winter Hill - Sunday 21st April 2013

Myself Denis M0USV and Mick 2E0MKE, left a bright and sunny South Yorkshire, to go and operate this Summit.

We had a good if show journey over to Winter Hill, we found  a place to part the car near the Summit, this information we found off the Sota Web site which had been posted by other people who have activated this Hill.

We made the short walk to the trig point, and began setting up our kit, the sky was overcast and the wind had got very cold, we were going to operate 70cms, 2m, 4m FM and 40m and 80m SSB.

40m and 80m being operated by Denis at 5watts and the other by Mick and myself. I soon found it hard going on 2m FM I was picking up loads of QRM from the nearby masts and working stations was difficult, thanks to the operators who helped I managed to work 12, but I had a problem with my electronic log and it lost the information for some of my contacts, so it was back to pen and paper. 

70cms was no better, and 4m was much worse. Well we had planned to activate a second summit. So we headed off to a nearby pub, for a quick pint, a bite to eat and to pick the next summit.

We had already been working on a short this. 

We picked Billinge Hill (not a great pick as it turned out). More later